Saturday, September 13, 2008

A busy and eventful week

Well after all that stressing over the assignment I had to do to get on the criminology course, I got a phone call during the week to say there was good news and bad news. The assignment was good and I would have been offered a place at Selby college however they don't have enough people wanting to enroll to run the course there! Bugger! I've been offered a place at Grimsby uni to do it and am waiting to find out the details to see whether it's feasible - as it's a 130 mile round trip. If I can do one full day a week instead of the few half days we were down to do at Selby then I'll enroll.
I finished my relationship with Chris this week too, which I'm relieved about. He's a nice guy but not for me. I'm not the kind of person who can sit in quiet corners all my life which is all he seemed to want to do. At least now I know what I don't want! I'd rather be single and happy than be with someone for the sake of it.
During my last visit of the day yesterday one of my candidates knocked a full cup of coffee over my laptop and mobile phone (my work equipment I might add, not my own!). The laptop seems to be ok, which is a shame as I would have quite liked a new one but my mobile phone seems to have developed a mind of its own. It now constantly switches itself on and off and the only way I can switch it on or off is to take the battery out. No doubt I'll be getting a lecture on Monday about how I need to look after my equipment when I have to order a new phone when we only got these a few months ago anyway........oops!
And finally, why do people ask for an opinion of something then when they get an honest one, get annoyed about what you said?? This is something I find totally baffling and I don't understand people who ask a question but don't want the answer! I was asked about my opinions on the new bonus structure we have at work by one of our senior managers and I gave a long, honest and frank opinion. I didn't just say it was rubbish, I explained why it will invoke certain behaviours in some people that will be detrimental to the business and how only the peak perfoming colleagues will be worse off in this scheme, therefore it's encouraging and rewarding the wrong type of behaviour. It seems my opinion annoyed him but then the answer there is simple - if you don't want an honest answer, don't ask me the question and ask someone else who will just tell you what you want to hear! haha

No comments: